The Renewable Carbon Initiative (RCI), CO2 Value Europe is part of, welcomes the European Commission’s Communication on Sustainable Carbon Cycles and it calls for accelerated implementation of important measures.
The Communication on Sustainable Carbon Cycles was published in December last year and it is a milestone in European policy as it acknowledges the value of carbon as a feedstock and its unavoidability for certain sectors – and hence its need to be defossilised. The communication aims to outline the necessary measures for achieving climate neutrality in 2050 by balancing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and removals.
The communication addresses several focal points that appear in line with RCI’s objectives:
- The centrality of carbon as a central atom for human life and industrial activities in the material sector
- The need for sustainable and climate-resilient carbon cycles
- The pivotal role of industrial value chains is to capture, recycle, transport and store carbon
What we ask for:
- Implement the 20% objective by 2030 for non-fossil carbon content in chemicals and materials in a legally binding target
- Recognise bio-based and CO2-based content as equal to the recycled content in the revision of the Packaging and Packaging Waste Regulation (PPWR)
- Take concrete action to support climate mitigation by capturing emissions at source for use or storage
- Renewable carbon must become a guiding principle for policies and targets
- Enable the transformation of biofuel plants into chemical suppliers
- Promote market access for products based on renewable carbon
The aim of the Renewable Carbon Initiative (RCI) is to support and speed up the transition from fossil carbon to renewable carbon for all organic chemicals and materials.
Please find the Renewable Carbon Initiative calls here.