Our member University of Liège is looking for a talented PhD candidate to join its group: Urban and Environmental Engineering – Building Materials in Liège, Belgium.
To limit the environmental impact of the heavy industry, the recycling of materials in the form of aggregates for the production of new concrete is an increasingly common practice. This PhD opportunity aims to study the forced carbonation of mineral and municipal residues to improve their properties (increase in mechanical strength and decrease in porosity). The position will consist in developing an accelerated carbonation procedure and the measurement of its effect on the recycled materials. In particular:
- Optimisation of the carbonation conditions
- Physical-mechanical characterisation of the mineral and municipal residues
- Realization of mixtures (mortars) and evaluation of the advantages of carbonation
- Modelling carbonation process
- Study the durability of mixes and the environmental impact of carbonation
The application deadline is August 26.
Find the job offer here.